Hello gnees army,
SSL means Security Socket Layer.
In most of cases, SSL used for http website to convert https website. Learn more Differences between http and https.
In short when you put/transfer information to any server, your info is encrypted while passing through it. As a result, no one can read your info between you and your server.
Ok, let’s take a example.
You put any password like ” abcd22 ” to the server. If it’s not encrypted, anyone like hackers between you and your server can see your password ” abcd22 “. So here SSL works.
It encrypts info in that way, humans can’t understand it. For that example SSL encrypts password “abcd22 ” to ” [email protected]#@..2sdfdfdf^^45 ” human unreadable format.
Read more: What is the difference between http and https
However, SSL Certificates can be classified based on the applications and requirements of the user & website admin. Here I’ve listed below the types of SSL in detail.
Classification of SSL Certificate
1. Wildcard SSL Certificates:
It secures your website along with the unlimited number of first level sub-domains. A user can get a wildcard SSL with Domain and Organization Validation.
Top Wildcard SSL Certificates
- Comodo PositiveSSL Wildcard
- Comodo EssentialSSL wildcard
- RapidSSL Wildcard
- GeoTrust True BusinessID
- Symantec Secure Site Wildcard
2. Multi-Domain (SAN) SSL Certificate:
A single MDC SL certificate can protect up to 250 multiple fully qualified domains. It is available with DV, OV and EV validation options.
Multi-Domain SSL Certificates are also known as Unified Communications or UCC SSL Certificates.
UCC SSL Certificates are widely used and recommended to secure multiple domains on Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft Office Communication Server.
Top Multi Domain SSL Certificate (UCC SSL Certificates)
- Comodo PositiveSSL Multi-Domain
- Comodo Multi-Domain SSL
- Comodo UCC SSL Certificate
- Comodo Domain Validated Unified Communications SSL
- GeoTrust True BusinessID Multi-Domain SSL
3. EV SSL Certificate:
It validated business, display Green Address Bar and Business name in URL. EV is an industry highly recognized and encrypted SSL certificate.
Top EV SSL Certificate
- Comodo EV SSL Certificate
- Comodo EV Multi Domain
- GeoTrust True BusinessID Multi Domain SSL
- Thawte Web Server EV SSL
- Symantec Secure Site Pro EV SSL
4. Domain validated SSL:
Recommended to secure medium or low-level websites where less amount of security is required.
Top DV SSL Certificate
- Comodo PositiveSSL Certificate
- Comodo Essential SSL Certificate
- RapidSSL Certificate
- Let’s Encrypt Certificate
- GeoTrust QuickSSL Premium SSL
5. Organization Validation SSL:
Used to validated online business and to ensure customer’s that they are accessing a genuine and legitimate business.
Top OV SSL Certificate
- Comodo InstantSSL Certificate
- Comodo InstantSSL Pro
- Comodo InstantSSL Premium
- GeoTrust True BusinessID SSL
6. Code Signing Certificate:
To Secure Code/script of Software, Application & files & to display the author’s real identity.
Top Code Signing Certificate
- Comodo Code Signing
- Thawte Code Signing
- Symantec Code Signing
7. Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificates
What if you want to secure your multiple domains and their all sub-domains under a single certificate? you will say it is not possible. Buy no it is possible. A Multi-Domain SSL Certificate will work it out.
A Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate can secure multiple domains up to 250 and their unlimited number of sub-domains on multiple servers.
Hence, a single SSL Certificate works better for every security solution.
Top MDC Wildcard SSL Certs are
- Comodo PositiveSSL Multi Domain Wildcard
- Comodo UCC SSL Wildcard Certificate
- Thawte Multi Domain Wildcard SSL
- GeoTrust Multi Domain Wildcard SSL